As so many things in the Old Testament pointed to events yet to come, the Jewish Passover and the story of the Israelites’ deliverance from oppression provide the background for the Easter story.
It is no coincidence that the culmination of Jesus’ redemptive work took place at Easter. Today we can clearly see its symbolism: God’s purpose was to redeem us and bring us closer to Him, and to free us – in this life and the next.
Just as Jesus’ sacrifice during Easter meant much more than the lambs sacrificed before the exodus, the freedom He offers through the events of Easter is also so much greater.
A practical way to establish family traditions during Easter is to read the core parts of the Easter story together as a family on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Easter weekend. Here are some examples of such passages to jump off with:
- Read John 14:1-14. This passage contains core promises and truths that Jesus made known to his disciples. An important verse to memorize is John 14:6.
- Read Luke 23:32-43. This conversation between Jesus and the two criminals who were crucified with Him makes us reflect on our own guilty hearts. At the end of the conversation we see that one man is saved and the other is not.
- The Resurrection and Great Commission: Matthew 28:1-18.
We wish you and your family an Easter filled with the joy of God’s great grace!
CUM Books was founded in 1939 and has been part of South Africans’ spiritual journey for more than 80 years.
In collaboration with Rhewal, CUM Books is giving five lucky Maroela readers an online gift voucher worth R1 000 to spend at www.cumbooks.co.za to use.
Complete the form before April 10, 2023 to be eligible for the draw.
Terms and conditions
- The gift voucher can only be used online at cumbooks.co.za and cannot be used at one of CUM Books’ bookstores.
- The gift voucher is valid until 30 April 2026.
- The gift card cannot be exchanged for cash.
- The closing date for entries is 10 April 2023.
- The winners’ names will be drawn at random from the entries.
- The winners will be contacted by telephone and email by Rhewal.
- The winners’ names will be announced on Rhewal.
support maroela media like this
Without Rhewal you wouldn’t have known. Help ensure your balanced and reliable news source’s future. Make a voluntary contribution now. Remember – our news remains free.
Oh my, the hymn is out! The comments on this post are closed. Come and have a good time together on another article.
Leave a Reply