Dozens dead from alcohol in India
At least 36 people have died and about 50 others have been hospitalized in western India after drinking contaminated alcohol, according to police.
The incident took place in Botad and Ahmedabad districts of Gujarat state, where the production, sale and consumption of alcohol is illegal.
“Around 10 people have been arrested and around 475 liters of alcohol have been recovered,” said Ashish Bhatia, director general of police in Gujarat.
Bhatia said one of those arrested had stolen methanol from a factory in Gujarat and sold it to a cousin, who then sold it to others who diluted the chemical with water and sold it as a drink. Methanol can make people feel drunk, but even a very small amount can be toxic.
Deaths from drinking alcohol, known colloquially as “country-made liquor” – are not uncommon in India.
But even in states where drinking is legal, illegal alcohol remains popular, especially in poorer rural areas.
According to SafeProof, homemade alcohol can become deadly when other liquids such as alcohol or methanol are added to the mix. Methanol poisoning can cause vomiting and heart or breathing problems.